Todays legal system is about the business of law, working with thin budgets and compromise. It is not about justice for victim’s as it should be.
To bring confidence back to a system that has failed victims of crime for decades The AAIM Option plan will seek to correct this, therefore, it is proposed that the current system be replaced with a system that ensures that victims of crime are fully engaged in determining the fate of those who wrong them and in doing so provide the justice a victim of crime needs to heal mentally.
The AAIM Option plan will call for reforms as to how the guilty are punished. If accepted by the people, anyone that is found to be guilty in a court of law would be stripped of their rights and incarcerated without an opportunity for parole until three quarters of their sentence is completed.
Once released on parole, the parolee would have a GPS tag implanted so their movements can be monitored until the full term of their sentence is complete. Once the sentence is complete the tag is removed and the person’s rights are restored.
The AAIM Option plan proposes that a question be included for the people to determine if capitol punishment options should be available to judges for;
1. Any crime that results in the violent death of a citizen of Alberta.
2. Any crime that results in the violent abuse of a child under the age of 18.
3. Any person deemed to be predator such as a repeat offender of murder, rape or pedophilia.
It’s incredible that we would allow predators to pry on the people and then treat them like the victim. Pedophiles, rapists and murders must be treated harshly to deter such crimes from occurring or reoccurring.
The AAIM Option plan proposes that anyone deemed to be a threat to the peace of the people be incarcerated until the reaper claims them.
MENTAL HEALTH CRIME
The AAIM Option's plan for reforms for crimes that are committed by persons with mental health issues are long overdue.
It is unacceptable to demand that the people accept that a killer, rapist or pedophile be released from imprisonment because the crime they have committed was the result of a mental episode or that they have a mental disease. The very fact that the mental health professionals have confirmed the presence of a mental defect or disease, coupled with the evidence of demonstrated extreme anti social behavior only emphasizes the need to keep these people locked up.
Even if they are “rehabilitated”! Mental health may keep these killers, rapists and pedophiles from the gallows, but it should never be an acceptable reason to excuse the crime or allow these creatures to walk among us.
The AAIM Option planed reforms would end the media’s influence on the justice system. It is not the place of the media in any form to debate the fate of the accused or expose the victim to public opinion. If the proposed reforms are accepted by the people, the AAIM Option plan would enact a total media ban for any ongoing trial. Once judgement is passed, the media would be allowed to report the outcome of a trail. In addition, all video and transcripts of the trial to include access to evidence, jury deliberations and out of chamber discussions related to the case. The entire trial should be made available to the media for broadcast once the sentence is passed. Access to victums and members of a jury will be allowed by permission only.
Our legal system is vital to our society. So much so that it is set apart from the government. A kind of shadow government that is tasked by the people to ensure that the those elected to rule do so within the confines of the bill of rights. The AAIM Option plan calls for Supreme Court Judges to be;
1. Elected by the people.
2. Have term limits of ten years. The Judge may run for reelection but cannot serve for more than a maximum of twenty years.
3. Impeachable. If a Judge fails to uphold the principles of the bill of rights and freedoms the people can vote to impeach the Judge.
How many stories can be told of a failed prosecution due to the incompetence of the Prosecutor or worse, the unwillingness to prosecute because they might fail. The AAIM Option plan calls for;
1. The Crown Prosecutor to be elected by the people.
2. Municipalities with over one million people to elect a Lead Prosecutor
3. Elected Prosecutors to have term limits of five years. The Prosecutor may run for reelection but cannot serve for more than a maximum of ten years.
4. Elected Prosecutors can be recalled by the people.
The AAIM Option plan calls for victim's of crime to be allowed a chance to decide the fate of the perpetrator. Some examples could include recovery of monies to recoup financial losses due to a crime. Sentences that have terms determined by the victim.
THE DISCUSSION & DEBATE
The discussion should address the pros and cons of a legal vs justice system. Other topics of discussion could be;
1. Should the people decide who sits on the bench of the supreme court?
2. Should the people decide who fights for that justice we seek?
3. Should Judges and Crown, Lead Prosecutors have term limits?
4. Do we want a justice system that includes capitol punishment for crimes that result in the death of a citizen?
6. Should the media be prevented from reporting on any aspect of a trail until is over and a result is known.
Proposed referendum questions
This referendum will ask the citizens to decide the following or abstain;
Q1: WHAT SYSTEM DO YOU WANT?
1. Justice system
2. Legal system
Q2: SHOULD SUPREME COURT JUDGES BE ELECTED OFFICIALS?
1. No, the current system works fine.
2. Yes, these judges must be elected to serve for a term of;
a. 5 years.
b. 10 years.
Q3: SHOULD CROWN, LEAD PROSECUTORS BE ELECTED OFFICIALS?
1. No, the current system works fine.
2. Yes, these Lead Prosecutors must be elected to serve for a term of;
a. 5 years.
b. 10 years.
c . Lifetime
Q4: SHOULD THE JUSTICE SYSTEM INCLUDE CAPITOL PUNISHMENT?
Q5: HOW SHOULD THE JUSTICE SYSTEM DEAL WITH MENTAL HEALTH CRIME?
1. Rehabilitate and release back into the community,
2. Rehabilitate and house in a minimum-security complex for life.
Q6: Should victim's be allowed to determine the fate of a criminal
With the referendum series completed the people’s choices will be honored by the CG who will develop an action plan that will detail the steps they will take to ensure the bureaucracy understands the reforms that their respective department’s and agencies will need to make.