The current system comprised of a federal, provincial and several municipal police forces is not meeting the security needs of the people and the province.
The AAIM Option plan calls for a change to a single provincial police force and believe the people want this too
This referendum will allow the people the chance to have their say.
THE DISCUSSION & DEBATE
The discussion should examine the pros and cons of a provincial / state police force vs the current system.
The AAIM Option plan believes that the benefits of a single police force could;
1. Provide the number of front-line officers that would be needed to adequately protect the people and enforce the laws.
2. Lower the cost of the current policing system through;
a. Streamlining supply and acquisition processes,
b. Standardizing equipment and clothing, and,
c. improve training methods.
Other benefits of a provincial / state police force that should be discussed? Could a single force;
1. Free municipalities of the cost of policing, allowing those municipalities to redirect that tax money to lower taxes or boost funding to other programs
2. Provide a policing standard to be followed by all members. This would eliminate jurisdiction boundaries and allow assets to be mobilized to handle problems anywhere in the province.
3. Provide a better allocation of manpower and resources to high need areas,
4. Improve training resources and funding for continued education and annual requalification’s of critical skill sets such as tactical driving, weapons handling, marksmanship, hostage rescue, etc.
5. Provide a central command structure that can better respond to the dynamics of law enforcement and other emergency situations that arise,
6. Provide an equal opportunity for all who make the grade to serve,
7. Provide a better funding model. A provincial force would be funded by general revenue, at a rate determined by the results of the tax reform referendum,
8. Improve internal intelligence gathering assets and resources,
9. Streamline access to information maintained by all jurisdictions.
10. Develop special teams to handle domestic issues, anti terrorism, etc.
Q. SHOULD ALBERTA FORM A PROVINCIAL POLICE FORCE?